Video games and learning
What can video games teach us, and how? How can we incorporate video games in education and training activities: which kind of games, what success stories, what hints and strategies to use? Are video games valuable to understand history? Literature? Science? What to keep in mind when mixing video games and learning?
The course and learning materials are in English. There will be personal and group workshops where we will put the new knowledge into practice (with video games). Free video games and/or the ones you already own will be used for practice and examples.
Every participant should have their own device (preferably a laptop) where they can test the video games. Consoles and other gaming devices can also be considered.
Previous videogame knowledge/practice is NOT required.
- know how video games can be used as a learning tool
- give examples and strategies to use existing video games in education
- design an educational / learning session using a video game
- know how to incorporate learning in your game design
- describe how Convergence Culture is making video games as relevant as movies and books.
The course has a non-differentiated assessment (passed/failed).